Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I make great chicken soup.


Not a word of a lie. I really do. I'm no masterchef, but I am a pretty good cook. Mum taught me how to cook when I was very young. I have absolutely no recollection of learning, but can remember cooking dinner for the family when mum was pregnant with my youngest brother. So I would have been about eight or nine? Dad was a farmer, so not only could he not cook he was also far too busy!
Anyway, back to the point, I make good chicken soup.
Because I like you all so much (even you Gemma) I will share my recipe with you....


Ingredients

4-5 chicken frames (preferably organic free range, just ask at the butchers/supermarkets)
1.5 Litres chicken stock (I love Massels)
1/2 a bunch fresh lemon thyme (or just thyme if you prefer)
optional other herbs eg lovage/tarragon/oregano/basil
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
Olive oil
1 chopped leek
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chopped root veges eg potato/kumera/carrots
salt and pepper


Saute the garlic in a large soup pot with some olive oil till soft (1-2 mins). Add vegetables,chicken frames and thyme then cover with stock and simmer for approx an hour. Remove the frames, pull off the meat and return to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve (with some simple homemade bread..)!

Really this is a very simple soup, it is the quality of the stock, chicken and herbs that give it its great flavour. I often add whatever veges I have around, and sometimes pasta or barley. We have got in the habit of making vege filled soups and stews each Sunday, which we freeze in portions for lunches over the week. On my day off last week I made this chicken soup which went down well, as we all had the flu....

3 comments:

  1. Yum...nothing like comfort food for a pick me up.

    P.s I've passed the "Versatile Blogger Award" on to you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im making soup tomorrow for dinner :) nothing better than soup in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love making soup! thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive